Sunday, May 29, 2011

When I was Young

When I as young, I grew up as a girl who was taught not to take crap from anyone. The reason why is because I am a Mexican American, and in some cases I look more Mexican than American. It's hard, growing up and having random people in stores and on the street hate you for no reason. I was confused, I did nothing wrong, why did they look at me so? Why did they skip me in line? Why did they talk to my daddy like that? What was that word they used, Illegal, Alien, Immigrant? What did they mean go home? There were so many questions, and there were no easy answers. 
I remember the first time I was confused as to who I was, and not because someone treated me differently, but because they were glad I was in their class. Her name was Maureen, and we were best friends for a few years in grade school. We were in the 2nd grade, and we learned about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and the civil rights movement. We learned about how schools used to be only filled with white students or students of color, namely African Americans because at that time those were the two races. My friend didn't know there was more than one color a person could be, and she thought that meant I was African American. News flash, I'm not. But I remember her walking over to me by the coat hangers, hugging me and exclaiming loudly, "I'm so glad that man was alive, because if he wasn't, I would never have meet my little black friend Abi!" I looked at her, and told her I wasn't black, and she said I was of color, and that made me black. That is all I remember of that day, I don't know how my parents handled that bit of information, explaining to me I am not black, but rather Mexican. But I do know this now. 
Now what does all of this have to do with me not taking crap from anyone? I'll tell you, it was later that year during recess, I remember Maureen, Alexis and I were laying on the grass and attempting to get a tan. Now we were young, and Maureen and I listened to Alexis when she said to be tan meant to get lighter. Alexis looked at me and said, "you really need a tan, Abi, you are way to dark. " I remember coming home and telling my parents I wanted to be lighter skinned, because that is what my friend said, I wanted to be like everyone else, white. My dad looked at me and told me that many people would tell me things I wouldn't want to hear, but I should not take what they say to heart. I am perfect the way I am. Also that I should never take something anyone says about me that is negative sitting down, PROVE THEM WRONG! 
Well this is something that has stuck with me for years and years, prove them wrong. Perhaps my daddy did not mean in every aspect should I prove people wrong. People said I was weak, the first time they said this I do not remember, so I proved them wrong. I kicked their ass. They then said I was a bitch, and I didn't know how to prove them wrong on that, so I just made being a bitch a good thing, or something I embraced. :) I enjoy standing my ground, and I refuse to take shit from people. I stand up for me, because it is what people don't expect. I learned that from long ago, but I have added more to it. I like being strong, and I enjoy the feeling of power I have over how people think of me. I also enjoy making people gasp in shock when I get them in a chock hold. :) 
I know that sounds mean, but for me, it is just who I am or how I act. If you got a problem with it, you can kiss my fist as it hits your face ;) But really, I don't fight people very often, just when I get really really pissed off. So you have no reason to fear. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment